Monday, July 5, 2010

Random Acts of Love: Day 18

My husband stayed up all night with a man named Mike on the side of the road while Mike took apart my truck from gas tank to engine because it wouldn't start after a stop at The La Pine Mini Mart for food and drink. At about 4 a.m. he had wrapped me up in a blanket and given me a pillow so I could try and sleep through the ordeal and after an hour of sobbing I fell into a troubled sleep just wanting to be home in my own bed with my children near. At seven a.m. the truck was fixed and we were on our way, both of us exhausted. I told myself I would drive until I reached the rest stop just past the Detroit Dam where I would take a nap or wake my husband to drive the rest of the way. When we got there, I shut the engine off and took a deep breath. Thirty-eight miles to Salem. Thirty-eight miles to a warm bed. Thirty-eight miles to baby hugs.

I gathered myself together, kissed my sleeping husband and drove the rest of the way home.

1 comment:

  1. If this ever find yourself stranded on the side of the road in LaPine (or anywhere near Bend), let me know! LaPine is only a hop, skip and a jump away from Bend! Glad you had someone so kind to help you.

    ReplyDelete